Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumThe Sun: The SunAnswers to my sun questions
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Answers to my sun questions

I'm here Dan. I knew my questions weren't up to the level of Sky Scholar but none the less they are questions I have on my path to understanding more about the sun and its effects on the solar system and its cycles. 

Mary Wright

Hi Mary et al,

Your questions were fine, there's nothing wrong with questions.  After all- there are no stupid questions.  Although there are stupid people, present company excluded, ignorance is the root of all knowledge.

These are the questions to which you're referring, I believe:

Mary writes (on a Patrons only Patreon post)- 'I have heard a lot of conflicting information about how far the suns B field is and how does it effect our solar system. I wonder if the sun is like an onion with many separate layers and which layer has which elements. How much does the sun effect the Van Allen belts? How long until the sun begins to cool off? How will that effect Earth? Do you believe there was a major plasma event in our ancient past? Was there a time when our weather was extreme enough people moved underground? How does liquid metallic hydrogen form the surface of the sun? Does it lateral crystal structure hold the suns shape? What could effect its structure? What's at the core of the sun? Some of these probably sound silly but I have so much more to learn'

Regarding the Sun being like an onion with separate elemental layers, I don't think it's like that.  Until something suggests otherwise, my best guess is that the Sun is liquid metallic hydrogen in the outer shells (out to the photosphere, or perhaps just below than that) and solid metallic hydrogen (to account for evidence of solid body rotation in its interior) in its core.  It may be able to do all that it does with those internals.  While we haven't created solid metallic hydrogen in a laboratory, it is theorized in the hydrogen phase diagram A good look at the 8 planets and Pluto. | Rebrn.comwe've showed on the YouTube videos ( http://youtube.com/smashomash/playlists ).  

The Sun affects the Van Allen belts in several ways.  1, during a geomagnetic storm an additional Van Allen belt forms.  This doesn't change the fact that we don't know how the Earth's geomagnetic field is generated for sure.  Without going deep into the weeds on the 'theories' on how Earth's geomagnetism is generated, this is one of science's great mysteries.  Some of us have more promising hypotheses than others about it, but there's certainly interaction between the Sun and Earth.  Incoming solar protons are braked HARD by the geomagnetic fields, forced to change direction and pick between field aligned currents, react by sequestering electrons in the Van Allen Belts, and reacting with other chemicals well out into space.  As they get closer and closer to the troposphere, they are more and more likely to produce 'Bremstrahlung' (braking radiation) because they've collided or reacted with something.  The Sun also provides some helium nuclei ('alpha' particles or 'radiation'), electrons, the other heavier elements and also neutral atoms and molecules which all end up in the Van Allen Belts.

How long until the Sun 'cools off'?  I have no idea, and when we start talking about temperatures in space, we run into instant problems such as- IS THE ENVIIRONMENT IN THERMAL EQUILIBRIUM?  Is the system intensive or extensive?  As soon as we say 'temperature', we run into issues measuring the Sun's.  So, while the emission spectra we see coming from the photosphere, chromosphere and corona give us insight into properties of the chemicals, reactions, and mechanisms behind the activity- I try to avoid using 'temperature'.  The physics gets weird and perhaps we'll do a video about this for viewers about temperature.  With respect to temperature telling us a lot about the Sun's internal structure, I think it's a dead end.

If the Sun 'cools off', it would probably be more than catastrophic for Earth's biosphere.  Fortunately according to information in places such as the geologic record- the Sun seems highly stable.  Even the last 1000 years of sunspot cycles have been fairly consistent.  

Do I believe there a major plasma event in our distant past?  I think there probably was, yes.  Probably many.  Remember- there's no problem without a solution, no matter how serious the problem seems!  Induction powered shield/ field generators, anybody?

Did people move underground because of weather?  Maybe!  The human species seems MUCH older than 40,000 years (which is where we largely believed it to be in the mid 1990s), and indeed is probably well over half a million years old at least.

The surface of the Sun's liquid metallic hydrogen is like your glass of water.  The Sun is massive, that creates pressure via basic everyday gravity.  When you apply enough pressure to hydrogen, it just forms into this lattice structure, turns black (flat black like soot) and behaves like a metal.  All you really need is pressure, the rest is the innate properties of the hydrogen!  Again- see the hydrogen phase diagram.  Like the water in your glass, it settles into its nucleonic lattice structure.  Under that pressure (hundreds of thousands of atmospheres) the electrons are not sequestered, flow freely just like in a metal.  Indeed it IS a metal.

There is no crystal structure, except the lattice.  This would exist in thin sheets, a single nucleon thick until there's enough pressure to form into solid metallic hydrogen (theoretically).  In other words- the photosphere is VERY flat with respect to Earthlings which is the reason sunspots appear dark.  You're seeing the lattice structure of nearly pure LMH from a perpendicular perspective.  This also explains why we see more x-ray flares from the limbs of the Sun than from the equatorial Earth- facing portion.  The Sun is telling us that it's emitting photons like a metal, NOT LIKE A GAS!  A perfectly flat metal structure will appear dark unless viewed at the appropriate angle.  This explains the 'Earth facing quiet' effect.  It's because of the intrinsic nature of the materials that comprise the photosphere!

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask more.  Thanks for asking and may that solar wind be at your back!

Love,

Dan, a.k.a. smAshomAsh

Regards, Dan, a. k. a. smAshomAsh

Dan you askerd me how many Sun Spots are there on ther earth facing limb. As of today rhis moning 3 beta class. 

Robert LaFollette